Summer is here and, if you're like me, your skin may need a little extra boost. There's many options calling for your attention these days, but most are a bit pricey and, honestly, not that effective. So today, I thought I'd share a favorite that's basically free and easy to maintain. Let's chat about the age-old practice of dry brushing.
What is it?
Dry brushing is the act of using a natural bristle brush to gently brush the body's skin when dry. It's a simple and effective way to quickly prepare your skin for those summer beach days.
+ Stimulates blood circulation, improving skin color and softness
+ Encourages oil-producing glands in the skin, creating supple glowing youthful skin
+ Activates the release of toxins through the lymphatic system, detoxifying; helpful when sick or feeling a sickness building in the body
+ Exfoliates the skin by gently removing excess dead skin cells
+ Improves functionality of skin, allows skin to breathe, by exfoliating and clearing away the barriers from the pores
+ Potential to tone muscles, eliminate cellulite, and prevent vericose veins
This practice can be done daily or 1-2x a week. I prefer to do it before I shower, as the idea of a full cleaning afterwards sits well with me.
1. Beginning with dry skin and a natural bristle brush, slowly and gently brush in circular motions over the body. If you have sensitive skin, like me, do not press hard or use a rough brush. This is about stimulation more than aggressive exfoliation.
2. Move towards the heart from the toes to the chest and the fingers to the shoulders. I avoid my face, though a special facial brush can be used if you'd like to incorporate this area as well. Include your palms and bottoms of the feet. This may take from 2-10 minutes, depending on how much attention you'd like to take for each area.
*Note: Avoid brushing areas with bruising, open cuts, eczema, sunburn, or any other skin irritation.
3. Hop in the shower, brining your bristle brush with you. Start with cold water to further promote detoxification by constricting the blood vessels on the surface and sending the blood deeper into the body. Continue with warm water and finish again with a short cold rinse. While in the shower, wash your brush with body wash or soap.
4. Hop out and gently towel off. Immediately massage oil into the skin, covering the entire body, other than the face.
5. Place your brush out in the open air to dry and be ready for your next pre-shower brushing.
6. Enjoy a summer filled with happy, energized and soft skin!
+ Short Handled Brush , update: this is the brush I'm currently using
+ Body Oils
- Evan Healy Sweet Blossoming Hydrating Body Oil
- Nourish Organic Fair Trade Pure Shea Butter, scoop and place between palms, rub together to warm butter before applying to skin
- Egyptian Magic All Purpose Skin Cream, see directions above for application
I hope you enjoy this relaxing and invigorating self-care practice. Your skin and body will thank you and, as a bonus, you'll have no regrets when you put on that summer suit :).
À votre santé!
*This share includes a few affiliate links. All recommendations are 100% purely mine. Thank you for supporting Merfleur.